Ladies! (I haven’t forgotten about you fellas!) You’ve been wanting to get funky, fresh and well, mix patterns for a while, however, you’re not quite sure how to do so. You see confident people in the streets ‘mix-matching’ and you can’t help but admire their boldness and how well they pair a black and white striped tank with that pink and yellow floral print skirt. Well, I’m here to help!
Mixing patterns can be a lot of fun and also makes you look and feel oh-so chic. If you’re new to this, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Choose patterns that share a neutral background, like brown, black, white or gray. Using hues from one main color will give you that subtle yet daring look.
- Mix up the prints: small polka dots with large stripes, small stripes on large stripes or even with leopard (so long as they’re not the same size), checker print with tweed, or my fave: stripes and floral print.
- Don’t go overboard. Only two pieces in one outfit should have patterns. No need to make your top compete with your bottom. You’ll overwhelm yourself and onlookers.
- Also try adding one basic element to balance things out such as a belt, cardigan, tights or a scarf. Keep the jewelry at a minimum. It’s always a great idea to keep your shoes simple too. You don’t want too look like you got dressed in the dark.. or worse.. like you tried too hard.
- Be confident. You may be a little nervous at first because you’re not used to this but act like you’ve done it on purpose. It goes a long way.
- Don’t buy anything new. Experiment with what’s already in your closet!
Have fun with it!