Send me an email when this page has been updated
- No client is the same. Just like any other profession, clients have different needs and preferences. They all deserve special treatment.
- Study your client. Learn their likes/dislikes. What is their body type? Any quirks? Favorite color? Who is their style icon? How do they want to be presented to the world? If you’re styling them for a particular event, find out information about the event (formal, casual, etc). These are the ingredients that make a well-styled, satisfied client.
- A great stylist delivers something unexpected: whether it’s a change in a sleeve, a nip at the waist, manipulating the dress to make it fall better – a good stylist shows something never seen before.
- Stay up to date. No one wants to be styled by someone who is outdated and doesn’t know the trends. Good stylists know a great deal about style and fashion, along with how to tailor clothes and adorn the body.
- It’s important to attend fashion shows and other fashion events. Not only does this help you to stay informed but you get the chance to meet other stylists, designers and creatives which is always a good thing.
- You will put in a LOT of physical labor. The job may require hours of shopping/walking, getting on your hands and knees to fasten shoes, packing and unpacking clothes and jewelry, early mornings and late nights so you must prepare yourself. Get a good night’s rest and wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Invest in a thorough styling kit. Wardrobe emergencies are inevitable and you don’t want to have to call 911 because your client tried to fist fight you.
- Directing fashion photo shoots is a key component of being a stylist.
- Learn to trust yourself. In turn, you gain the trust of your client.
- Styling is a lot of hard work but it pays off because I’m doing something that I absolutely love!
What are some qualities that you want in a personal stylist? I’m dying to know! Sound off in the comments!
Candace Thee Stylist 💕